Before IV Anesthesia
- Do not eat or drink anything for six (6) hours prior to the appointment, Including water.
- A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive you home.
- Please fill prescriptions before surgery. Read the instructions for the prescriptions carefully, as some procedures or health conditions may necessitate beginning a medication before your surgery.
- Please wear comfortable clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow and low-heeled shoes.
- Please do not wear contact lenses, jewelry, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you take any medication daily (blood pressure medicine, fluid pills, etc.) continue to take these medications in your regular dosage unless otherwise instructed by your oral surgeon. You may take sips of water to swallow these pills.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you use any tobacco products you will have a significantly increased chance of post-operative complications, including extended discomfort and dry sockets. We strongly advise you to discontinue these habits during your healing phase.
- You may want to have a pillow in the car for a more comfortable ride home.
- It will be helpful for you to have ice packs ready at home for postoperative swelling.
- You should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- If you have any questions at all, please call the office at which your surgery is scheduled. Click here for our office information.
Choose Exceptional Oral Surgical Care
Contact us today to schedule an appointment with one of our seven oral surgery offices in Virginia.